Practice: Performing Different Backup Types
In this practice, you will create several backup jobs, examining the role of the archive attribute.
Exercise 1: Create Sample Data
1. Open Notepad and create a text file with the following lines. Type each line carefully.
md c:\Datanet share data=C:\Datamd c:\Data\Financecd c:\data\Financeecho Historical Financial Data > Historical.txtecho Current Financials > Current.txtecho Budget > Budget.txtecho Financial Projections > Projections.txt
2. Save the file as "c:\createfiles.bat" including the quotation marks.
3. Open the command prompt and type cd c:\.
4. Type the command createfiles.bat.
5. Open Windows Explorer and navigate to the c:\data\finance directory. You should see the following display:
Lesson 1 Fundamentals of Backup 7-9
6. If the Attributes column is not visible, right-click the column headers Date Modi-fied and select Attributes. The archive attribute is displayed.
Note Leave Windows Explorer open on C:\Data\Finance. You will refer to it throughout this practice.
Exercise 2: Perform a Normal Backup
1. Open the Backup Utility by running Ntbackup.exe from the command line, or selecting Backup from the Accessories–System Tools group on the Start menu.
2. Clear the Always Start In Wizard Mode check box.
3. Click Advanced Mode.
4. Select the Backup tab.
5. Expand My Computer, the C drive, and then the Data folder so that you can select the Finance folder.
The Finance folder has a blue check mark, meaning a complete backup, whereas its parent folder has a dimmed check mark, indicating a partial backup. Any files added to the Finance folder will be included in the backup, but any files added to the Data folder will not.
6. On the Job menu, choose Save Selections.
7. Save the selections as Finance Backup.bks.
8. In the Backup Media Or Filename box, type c:\backup-normal.bkf.
Note In production environments you will be likely to use removable media for backups, but to keep hardware requirements to a minimum, practices in this lesson will back up and restore using local files. If you have access to a tape drive, feel free to use it during these practices.
9. Click Start Backup and then click Advanced.
10. Confirm that Normal is selected in the Backup Type drop-down box, and then click OK.
11. Select Replace The Data On The Media With This Backup and click Start Backup.
12. Observe the Backup Progress dialog box. When the backup is complete, click Report.
13. Examine the report. No errors should be reported.
14. Close the report and the Backup Utility.
Note that in Windows Explorer, the Attributes column no longer shows the archive attribute.
7-10 Chapter 7 Backing Up Data
Exercise 3: Perform Differential Backups
1. Open C:\Data\Finance\Current.txt and add some text. Save and close the file.
2. Examine C:\Data\Finance in Windows Explorer. What files are showing thearchive attribute?
Only the one you just changed.
3. Open the Backup Utility and click the Backup tab.
4. From the Job menu, choose Load Selections to load Finance Backup selections.
5. In the Backup Media Or Filename box, type c:\backup-diff-day1.bkf.
6. Click Start Backup.
7. Click Advanced and select Differential as the backup type.
8. Start the backup and, when complete, confirm that no errors occurred.
9. Close the Backup Utility.
10. Examine the folder in Windows Explorer. Which files have their archive attribute set?
The file Current.txt is still flagged for archiving.
11. Open the Budget file and make some changes. Save and close the file. Confirmthat its archive attribute is now set.
12. Repeat steps 3 through 9, creating a backup job in the location: c:\backup-diff-day2.bkf. Be sure to look at the resulting backup report. How many files werecopied for the backup?
Exercise 4: Perform Incremental Backups
1. Open the Backup Utility and click the Backup tab.
2. From the Job menu, choose Load Selections to load Finance Backup selections.
3. In the Backup Media Or Filename box, type c:\backup-inc-day2.bkf.
4. Click Start Backup.
5. Click Advanced and select Incremental as the backup type.
6. Start the backup and, when complete, confirm that no errors occurred.
7. Close the Backup Utility.
8. Examine the folder in Windows Explorer. Which files have their archive attribute set?
Lesson 1 Fundamentals of Backup 7-11
9. Open the Projections file and make some changes. Save and close the file. It should show the archive attribute in Windows Explorer.
10. Repeat steps 1 through 8, creating a backup job in the location: c:\backup-inc-day3.bkf.
The following questions are intended to reinforce key information presented in this lesson. If you are unable to answer a question, review the lesson materials and try the question again. You can find answers to the questions in the "Questions and Answers" section at the end of this chapter.
1. Which of the following locations are not allowed to be used for a backup of a Windows Server 2003 system?
a. Local tape drive
b. Local CD-RW
c. Local hard drive
d. Shared folder on a remote server
e. Local DVD+R
f. Local removable drive
g. Tape drive on a remote server
2. You are to back up a Windows Server 2003 file server every evening. You perform a manual, normal backup. You will then schedule a backup job to run every evening for the next two weeks. Which backup type will complete the fastest?
3. You are to back up a Windows Server 2003 file server every evening. You perform a manual, normal backup. You will then schedule a backup job to run every evening for the next two weeks. Which backup type will provide the simplest recovery of lost data?
7-12 Chapter 7 Backing Up Data
4. You are to back up a Windows Server 2003 file server every evening. You perform a normal backup. On the second evening, you consider whether to use incremen-tal or differential backup. Will there be any difference in the speed or size of those two backup jobs? If the server were to fail the following day, would there be any difference in the efficiency of recovery?
5. Review the steps taken during the Practice. Predict the contents of the following backup jobs:
Are there any differences between the contents of backup-diff-day2 and backup-inc-day2? Note You can find the answers in the Questions and Answers section at the end of the lesson. However, you should test your predictions by performing the Practice in Lesson 2.
■ The Backup Utility, Ntbackup, allows you to back up and restore data from local and remote folders.
■ You may back up to local files, tape drives, and removable media or to shared folders on remote servers. You cannot back up to writable CD or DVD formats.
■ A normal backup is a complete backup of all selected files and folders. It is always the starting point of any backup strategy.
■ An incremental backup copies selected files that have changed since the most recent normal or incremental backup. Both normal and incremental backups clear the archive attribute.
Lesson 1 Fundamentals of Backup 7-13
■ A differential backup copies all selected files that have changed since the last nor-mal or incremental backup. Differential backups do not clear the archive attribute.
■ Copy backups and daily backups are less frequently used. They back up all selected files, in the case of Copy backup, or files modified on a specific date, in the case of Daily backup. They do not reset the archive attribute, so they can be used to capture data for backup or transfer without interfering with the normal backup schedule.
注册－为何申请Payoneer万事达预付卡+美国/欧洲/英国银行账号？ ｜ P卡申请被拒绝的原因
Payoneer有卡账户和无卡账户的区别 ｜ Payoneer个人账户注册申请教程 | （公司帐户）
Payoneer欧洲支付服务（欧元帐户） ｜ 激活Payoneer欧元虚拟卡 ｜ Payoneer推出日元收款帐户
Payoneer英国支付服务（英镑帐户） ｜ 订购Payoneer实体卡（P卡） ｜ Payoneer卡年费啥时候扣？
收到Payoneer万事达预付卡（P卡） ｜ Payoneer卡休眠和激活 ｜ 如何注销P卡 ｜ P卡到期后如何更换？
官方－Payoneer秉承公正、公开、透明服务 ｜ Payoneer官方最新政策汇总 ｜ 官方客服联系方式
Payoneer欧美收款账户费用表 ｜ 如何减少Payoneer入帐和取款手续费？
跨境收款服务商拷问篇——Payoneer ｜ Payoneer客户答疑手册（FAQ） ｜ Payoneer手机App
收款－跨境电商/外贸收款方式对比 ｜ Payoneer可以错名收款吗？ ｜ Payoneer还是蛮人性化的
Payoneer可接受个人与公司信用卡付款（请求付款） ｜ 关于Payoneer卡充值
Amazon亚马逊卖家设置Payoneer卡收款教程 ｜ Amazon联盟设置Payoneer卡收款
申请CJ联盟并设置Payoneer卡收款 ｜ ClickBank联盟设置Payoneer卡收款教程
Payoneer如何从东南亚电商平台Lazada收款 ｜ 如何在Lazada开店？
Payoneer如何从拉美电商平台Linio收款？ ｜ Payoneer绑定非洲电商平台Jumia收款
Payoneer如何从跨境移动电商Wish收款？ ｜ Wish模式正在改变电商格局
Payoneer支持从法国乐天Priceminister收款 ｜ 法国电商平台CDiscount对接Payoneer收款
Airbnb房东如何使用Payoneer收款？ ｜ Airbnb房东用哪种收款方式最划算？
从PayPal提现到Payoneer卡教程及手续费用 ｜ PayPal无法绑定并转账到Payoneer卡？
提现－从Payoneer卡提现到国内银行账户 ｜ Payoneer无法从Dating联盟收款并限制提现方式
用P卡在中国银行ATM机取款4000元 ｜ 用Payoneer卡在中国建设银行ATM机取款500元